Lima beans in the oven with red pepper, cold cuts and fresh tomatoes
Recipe – Photograph: Marios Sabanis
- 500 gr dry lima beans
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup olive oil, 1 cup water
- celery, finely chopped
- carrot, finely chopped
- 700 gr tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp. sugar, salt, pepper
- parsley, sliced
- 250 gr bacon, diced
- 350 gr rustic sausage
- 3 peppers from Florina
– Soak the lima beans in plenty of water. The next day, boil them until they are tender (skimming them) for about 40 minutes. Drain them and put them in a pan approximately 37 × 25 cm.
– Heat half olive oil in a deep-frying pan in medium heat, put the onion and leave for about 10 minutes until it becomes transparent. Add the garlic, celery, carrot and the peppers as well and continue the sauté for 2-3 more minutes. They should not get color! Add sugar, tomatoes, parsley and salt pepper.
– In a frying pan put the sausage to be cooked with some olive oil. When cooked add the bacon and then put the carrots with the oil in the lima beans.
– Boil for 10 minutes and pour in with lima beans. Add the remaining oil as well as water.
– Bake for 45 minutes in the oven at 200° C.