Lima Beans “Kou viartz”
Authentic, from Laista village recipe
Recipe: Marika Tzima – Photograph: Takis Tzimas
- 500 gr dry lima beans
- 1 kg different greens
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 fresh onions, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- ½ bunch parsley, sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ lemon juice (optionally)
– Let the dry lima beans slowly soak in plenty of water from the previous night.
– Drain and place the lima beans in a pot of clean water that boils for 3 minutes and strain. Refill the same pot with
clean water and boil again until the beans are tender.
– In another pot blanch the greens in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Roughly
chop the greens.
– Place the greens in the pan, add the onion, the fresh onions, the leek, the carrots then add the lima beans with all
the juices, salt, pepper, herbs, olive oil and mix.
– Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ° C for one hour.
– Garnish, if desired, with some crumbled feta cheese on the top and serve.